Thursday, April 18, 2013

Statement of accomplishment

I got my statement of accomplishment from the UCIRVINE pre-calculus class I took at Coursera. It looks clean and simple. It has my name and the signature of both professors in the class. The only grievance I have is the note at the bottom.
 
It reads:
"PLEASE NOTE: THE ONLINE OFFERING OF THIS CLASS DOES NOT REFLECT THE ENTIRE CURRICULUM OFFERED TO STUDENTS ENROLLED AT THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, IRVINE. THIS STATEMENT DOES NOT AFFIRM THAT THIS STUDENT WAS ENROLLED AS A STUDENT AT THE
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, IRVINE IN ANY WAY. IT DOES NOT CONFER A UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, IRVINE GRADE; IT DOES NOT CONFER UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, IRVINE CREDIT; IT DOES NOT CONFER A UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, IRVINE DEGREE; AND IT HAS NOT VERIFIED THE IDENTITY OF THE STUDENT."
This is my first Coursera course so I do not know if all other universities use the same language. If they do, shame on them. I understand all the caveats they must state, specially the part about this course being in no way eligible for college credit and the fact that in the free version of the course they could not verify your identity. I guess what bothers me is that they focused on all the negatives, none of the positives.
 
I will make a suggestion in how to phrase the bottom of those certificates.
Please Note: This online offering while covering essential topics of the subject studied is different from the curriculum offered to students enrolled at UC Irvine. The statement is given to the student named above under the assumption that said student abided by the honor code explained in the syllabus and handed in their own work. Unfortunately we cannot verify this students's identity. This course is not eligible for college credit, grade or degree at UC Irvine. This statement does not affirm that this student was enrolled as a student of UC Irvine.
But maybe I'm just overly sensitive. Good news is I passed the course...and at least I can verify my identity. At least I hope I can. Let's check:
 
Fernando Santiago = the guy who spend 10 weeks doing an UC Irvine precalculus class at Coursera.
Me=Me
 
Identity verified.
 
This post should give me closure.
 
Your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Absolute rubbish, these courses. Whats the whole point of going through weeks of excruciating calculus, sub-netting, vlans etc only to get something that pretty much says "we dont know him and what he claims to know".

    Thanks, I have left the course I was pursuing - this is an absolute waste of time.

    ReplyDelete