Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Just got enrolled in PreCalculus with Coursera

Well, I took a break from my trigonometry review went and took the plunge. I am enrolled now in a Pre-Calculus course with Coursera and the University of California, Irvine. I've been hearing about Coursera for a few months now but I never got the urge to take a look at what it was about.
 
 
 
I could try to explain what I believe Coursera to be, but I'll leave it to their About section. You can read it in full here.

About Coursera

We are a social entrepreneurship company that partners with the top universities in the world to offer courses online for anyone to take, for free. We envision a future where the top universities are educating not only thousands of students, but millions. Our technology enables the best professors to teach tens or hundreds of thousands of students.

Through this, we hope to give everyone access to the world-class education that has so far been available only to a select few. We want to empower people with education that will improve their lives, the lives of their families, and the communities they live in.

 
I am fairly excited about this. It will be a way to do my own studying but with a class like structure. The workload of 10 to 12 hours a week sounds a little daunting, we'll see how that plays out. What I like about it is that it will last 10 weeks. That seems reasonable. I am always second guessing myself about the speed in which I am going through my review.
 
I plan to take a Calculus course after that. Tha way I can answer one of the questions that have bothered me from the beginning of this journey which is...
How will I know if I had learned Calculus?
The final test for the Calculus course and my progress through it will say I do...or not. And your input will also be invaluable. Let me know what you think of this idea.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment